Based on a series of graphic novels by Hermann Huppen, the show takes place on an Earth where, some 15 years earlier, a hormonal virus killed everyone who was past puberty.
- Actors:Luke Perry, Malcolm Jamal-Warner, Joanne Kelly (II), Byron Lawson, Kandyse McClure
- Directors:Mario Azzopardi, Holly Dale, Peter DeLuise, Ken Girotti, Russell Mulcahy
- Format: Box set, DVD, Full Screen, Color, NTSC
- Language: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)
- Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
- Number of discs: 6
- Rated: NR (Not Rated)
- Studio: MGM (Video & DVD)
- DVD Release Date: January 20, 2004
- Run Time: 887 minutes
- 18 episodes plus the series premiere on six discs
- Commentary by Luke Perry and Malcolm-Jamal Warner on the series premiere
- Deleted scenes
- Behind-the-scenes featurette
- Production sketches
- Photo gallery
Watch Free Previews and Buy Episodes from Amazon Instant Video (Learn More)
Still, the show’s ideas are provocative, and the work of co-stars and TV stalwarts Luke Perry as the title character, a hero with a conscience, and Malcolm-Jamal Warner as his more cynical sidekick, is good. Jeremiah, to its credit, doesn’t rely on special effects, production design, costumes, or sets to carry it. That means the burden is on the ongoing themes (Jeremiah’s guilt over his younger brother’s death and his search for the maybe-mythic “Valhalla Sector”; the threat of the plague returning in an even more virulent form; the attempts to rebuild civilization) and individual stories, which are frequently compelling and smart (especially “Things Left Unsaid,” the two-part season finale, a cliffhanger that offers many possibilities for future seasons), even while favoring talk over action.
The special features occupy disc 1, along with the pilot, and include deleted scenes, production sketches, and commentary on the pilot by Perry (who also executive produced) and Warner. If you’re looking for superior sci-fi escapism, however, try Farscape or Stargate SG-1, to name just two. –Sam Graham
A stunning sci-fi epic that re-envisions the future of mankind, this top-rated, action-packed original series is “intriguing” (Associated Press), “fascinating” (Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel) and “deep and intense” (Science Fiction Weekly)! Luke Perry (“Beverly Hills 90210,” “Oz”) stars as Jeremiah, one of the many young survivors of the “Big Death” that claimed the lives of every adult in the world 15 years ago. Now forging his way through a bleak wilderness fraught with danger and conspiracy, Jeremiah and his most trusted friend, Kurdy (Malcolm-Jamal Warner), are plunged into thrilling adventures that test every facet of their humanity…and ultimately the fate of the human race itself!